Teaching English as a Foreign Language
1. Furtive: دزدکی، پنهانی، یواشکی، مخفیstealthy, secret, sly, sneaky ≠ open
2. Felon: تبهکار، جانی، آدم بده criminal, murderer, offender, thief, killer, robber
3. Plethora: ازدیاد، جمعیت کثیر mob, overabundance, murderer, offender, thief, killer, robber
4. Hapless:بیچاره، بدبخت، نگون بخت unfortunate, unlucky, luckless, ill-fated, wretched, miserable, doomed ≠ fortunate
5. Irate:خشمگین، غضبناک angry, unlucky, luckless, ill-fated, wretched, miserable ≠calm
خوب، حالا که معنی کلمات جدید را بلد شدید این داستان خوشگل را هم بخوانید. با توجه به کلماتی که تا حالا یاد گرفتیم.
If I Had the Wings of an Angel
Casting a furtive glance over his shoulder, the felon slipped out the main prison gate to be swallowed up in the British fog. A plethora of escapes from supposedly secure prisons embarrassed the hapless wardens. To compound their problems, the officials were badgered by irate citizens who accused the guards of accepting bribes from convicts whose motto was: "Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage."
Use the new words in the following sentences.
1. The __________ contest winner was unable to locate the lucky ticket.
2. My uncle was __________ when the drunken driver swerved in front of us.
3. In a __________ manner she removed her shoes and tiptoed up to her room.
4. When the teacher asked why the homework had not been done, he was greeted by a __________ of incredible alibis.
5. Since the boss learned that Bob associated with a known __________, he fired him.
Match the new words with their meanings.
6. Furtive ____ a. angry, incensed
7. Felon ____ b. a person guilty of a major crime
8. Plethora ____ c. unfortunate
9. Hapless ____ d. excess
10. Irate ____ e. secret, stealthy
اسم این یکی پادشاه بوده "پیروس" که یه پادشاه یونانی بوده. این بنده خدا تو یه جنگی پیروز می شه اما تلفات بسیار زیادی متحمل می شه. لذا به پیروزی که به خاطرش صدمات و خسارات بسیاری ببینیم می گویند....
= A too costly victory (King Pyrrhus defeated the Romans but his losses were extremely heavy)
In heavy fighting the troops managed to recapture the hill, but it could only be considered a Pyrrhic victory.